Chapter Ten


My sweetheart and I built our dream house bit by bit, roughly following the plans we'd paced out and marked on the lawn. We spent untold nights talking and scheming until the sky began to lighten. Then we'd fall asleep in each other's arms with stars in our eyes and sawdust in our hair. Every time we got some extra money, it went into the house.  And I dug and planted and watered and nurtured until my back was breaking.

It still needs lots of work: painting, decorating, buying furniture. But all that will fall into place bit by bit, the way we built the house. This place is ginormous. My old place would fit in the dining room, I think!




There's nothing up there yet; just a couple of unfinished rooms.




Who knows? Some day we may need  a nursery.

 

I still want to know what that unfinished corner is all about. Demarco said it was a surprise for me and to keep my nose out of it.

 

As it turned out, he had another surprise for me as well. One that glittered and shone. One that put the sweetest look on his face, part eager, part proud, part apprehensive; and made my heart swell until I thought it would burst.

 

 

He's been working as hard at work as he has at home, and he got another promotion. The coach wants him to take a trip to China to study under a legendary Chinese coach. He says that will give him a game-winning edge nobody else will have. He can also learn martial arts to further discipline his body and teach him to focus his energy. He'll be unstoppable.

"I think," he told me in that soft voice he only uses in bed, "I think it would be a beautiful place for a honeymoon."

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Demarco popped a wish to propose to Avi, and a few minute later, she popped a wish to propose to him! I couldn't believe it. I let him do it because he wanted to first, and because I'm old fashioned and sentimental and I like when the man proposes.

    It was my first marriage proposal, and I swear I was all choked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, how sweet that they both wanted to propose.

    A lovely update Sue, I'm looking forward to Demarco's other surprise.

    This will be one wedding and honeymoon to really look forward to. Go Avi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first thing I read while having my morning coffee and it just made my day. Avi and Demarco. Together, building a house together, engaged, honeymooning in another country. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely update!

    The house is amazing. I can't wait for the surprise and the honeymoon pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet update. Thanks for including the note about them both wanting to propose. I love it when things work out so well.

    I'm old-fashioned enough that I still prefer the male proposal as well. The house looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete