Chapter Nine


My life seems to be entering a new phase. In my cheeseparing, apple-eating teens, I spent so much energy on perfecting my painting and scrambling for money, that I hardly know how to relax now. I needed a new focus, and it came naturally, as things seem to do for me. My life shows me which way it wants to go.

The turning point was the day every single thing that could break in my poor little trailer home did break. It was a surprisingly cozy little nest and served me well for many years, but It just wasn't livable any more. I could have sunk money into replacing my worn out appliances and plumbing fixtures, but it seemed so pointless. Throwing good money after bad, as Grams would say. What I needed to do, now that I was financially able, was start building a real house, as I'd always planned.

The timing couldn't have been better, because Demarco had moved out of his parents' house and was living with the Harts, but he didn't really like it there. He moved in with me and we started planning right away.

With our pooled resources and the money from the sale of my old house and some of the furnishings, it turned out we had a lot more money to spend than I realized.

The first rooms to go up were a beautiful, spacious bedroom and bathroom! Now we wouldn't have to live in tent while the rest of the house was being built. We marked out where we thought the rest of the house should go, more or less.


 


The best thing is brand new shiny appliances! It may not be much to rich families like the Goths, but to me this is luxury itself. It may be a little bare and bland now but, trust me, the home of an artist won't look bare for long.

Now that we have at least a few walls up, I can even landscape a little, and plant a few saplings that will grow into big beautiful trees one day.



I haven't shaken my habit of painting out of doors in my nightie, but I'm pretty sure Demarco doesn't mind. I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind one bit.


 
















 I was only a little shy the first time.



Hogan's asked me to sell them some paintings for the diner! It didn't pay much, but I was flattered that they asked for me and that my work is being shown in public places.

The Llamas won the last big game 13-2. It was an important game for a rookie like Demarco, and I surprised him with a present. I bought him some new recipes to add to his collection. I know his passion is cooking and collecting recipes. He's been working so hard on his career, like me, that he hasn't gotten around to working on his favorite hobby much. For two people who like to cook, I think cooking in this kitchen is going to be a dream.



Just as I was going into the bookstore, a huge fight broke out on the sidewalk. By the time I turned around and went back, it was all over, and everybody was standing there looking either disapproving or belligerent. Except for one girl. She was dusting herself off in a nonchalant way and looking fairly well pleased with herself. I don't know whether she was in the fight or just got in the way, but I was intrigued.

I so wish I had been just a few minutes earlier. I might have seen the whole thing. I'm consumed with curiosity, but nobody would tell me what was going on. I recognized Nick Alto, looking like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, and Arlo Bunch, who has grown up to have the face of a pig. I wonder if he takes after his big sister in disposition as well?

I went up and introduced myself to the girl as the crowd dispersed. She introduced herself as Menuchah, and said she'd moved here from Riverview. I'm going to get to know her better. I need more women around to talk to, and anybody who can hold their own like that is definitely somebody I want to know.







Author's note: I decided Avi needed some women friends, so I added the following ladies to the neighborhood hoping they'll meet and hit it off:

Menuchah (Muleskinner) Lothario by Muleskinner
AJ Anderson by Dee


I really wish I'd been fast enough to get a shot of the fight, and of pigface. Grrr.

8 comments:

  1. LOVELY home Sue! So nice and big and spacious, which makes picture taking so much easier... my new legacy home is going to be big and spacious like that so I don't have to worry about walls up/down with tight shots!

    I am a cooking fundi, and believe me I WANT that kitchen! lol.

    Glad you manged to get the game up and running again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house is going well indeed. It will be a work worthy of an artist.

    It will be fun to see AJ and Menuchah in your game. Not quite as much fun as one of mine but still fun. Good idea for Avi to have some female friends.

    Glad to see Avi is back

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHE'S BACK!!!
    I'm so happy for you and I love the house and that she is finally with Demarco and... I'm just happy she's back. I missed you Avi.

    Thanks for adding AJ.

    Menuchah came out of that without a scratch. Good for her.

    Those happenings in town can sneak up on us. I stay near pause a lot more than I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to add, I can see by the way Demarco is looking back, that he doesn't mind the nightie at all. ;) Probably hopes it's a habit she never breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everybody.

    LOL PiB. Don't worry, there's always room for more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that kitchen! The shot of Demarco looking at Avi while she paints in her nightie is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just looked at the pics again. I love the way Avi is peeking over the top of the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, the painting in nighty shot is a real keeper. Because it's certainly not the painting that Demarco is looking at. LOL

    ReplyDelete