Chapter Twelve

Yes, I still paint in my nightie. Can't seem to break the habit. When the muse conks me over the head, I'm not about to take the time to change clothes, for heaven's sake. Let alone eat or bathe. When my easel calls me, I must answer. It is an irresistible force, and not to be denied or delayed.



You know, sweetie, I think we really should have built two bathrooms. And I TOLD you not to use the toilet until the repairman came. Ah, marital bliss. Good thing I've had to learn to be handy with tools. Though I can't help but wonder, sometimes, how much faith Demarco really has in my mechanical abilities. Typical man, eh?

 



There sure is a lot of smoke coming out of this. What do you mean, ground myself?

 

If I seem obsessed with my painting, it's nothing compared to my husband. Isn't that a glorious word, husband? He spends practically every waking moment doing workouts to his TV fitness shows. He won't stop until he's all sweaty and half dead from hunger and thirst. His muscles are getting bigger than the Incredible Hulk's. I tell him he should slow down before he has to go through the door sideways.

 

Truth is, I don't care HOW sweaty he gets. Tee, hee.

 

We didn't want to be one of those couples who ignore their friends and never come out of the bedroom, so we had Michael, Mortimer, and Menuchah over. Menuchah is trying out a new hair style. I like the old one better; it's so sassy and cute. But of course I only told her how wonderful she looks. Honestly, that girl could shave her head and paint it blue and she'd be hot. I'm positive that Mortimer thought so, too.

 

As soon as I saw the way he was looking at her, I just had to play cupid. I had it all planned out. I got them to stay for dinner after Michael and Demarco left for the game. I just had to make sure I inhaled my dinner so I could excuse myself early and leave them to finish their dinner - and their conversation - alone.

 

They certainly seemed to hit it off.



I can think of lots of ways to get them together. An afternoon of TV is a good way to spark a conversation and get them sitting next to each other for long periods of time. I think Demarco thinks I'm being a bit silly. But I saw the looks they snuck at each other. All I have to do is get up and go paint or something, and leave them alone to get acquainted.



Oh, that man of mine. One night he lost track of time and ran off to work at the last minute, leaving dinner cooking on the stove. I had to finish cooking, but by the time I smelled it, it was all burnt and horrible. I made a nice salad instead.

 

The thing about salad is that you get hungry again very soon. So I can make a big platter of salad and leave it out, and it just leads to more eating, which means more chatting.

When Demarco got home, he told me he'd been promoted to team captain! I'm so proud.

 

 

The way he was looking at me made me forget all about having guests. I think they forgot about us, too.

 

Demarco decided to see for himself what entrances me so much about this painting business. He liked it.

 

I thought he looked like he wanted to say, "Explain to me just how exactly you use this thing again."

 

We haven't flagged in our effort to get Menuchah and Mortimer together. Demarco has even given in to my persistence and joined in on the plot. We invited them out to the  park, too, where there's that cozy fire pit and lots of good music for dancing.

 

I think they'd make such an adorable couple. I couldn't hear them over the music, but I bet Mortimer was complimenting her on her sweet moves.

 

I eventually got so sleepy I couldn't hold my head up any longer, and went home to bed, but my accompli- I mean Demarco told me our unsuspecting victi- I mean friends stayed dancing and dancing until nearly midnight, when they were forced to stop from sheer exhaustion and hunger.

 

I'm so impatient to find out if my stragety is working. But they won't tell me no matter how many hints I drop. All I know is that they're both still single. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I got a phone call from Connor Frio. It seems he sells sports equipment, and he has imported some of those training dummies from China, like the ones we trained on when we were there. I bought one for Demarco out of the sale of my last painting. He's thrilled with it.



I told Connor how much we liked it, and he got me to give him a testimonial he could use in his advertising. He paid me $500 for it. That's more than it cost in the first place, so I made a nice little profit.

As soon as I got the unexpected money, I thought about this nice statue I'd seen that I could get for $250. It would look so nice in that art gallery I dream of building one day.

But, you know, I think instead I'm going to spend it on some nursery furniture. Because I've discovered we're going to have a baby.
 
 

I don't think I'll tell Demarco until morning. He played so hard today. Won the game, too. He looks so sweet sleeping there. Yes. I'll tell him when he wakes up. My darling, get a good night's sleep while you can.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. OMG, I was so happy to see Avi back that I almost commented before reading the story.

    I start reading about her and get so involved in her story that I forget to blink. To think how she was once so alone and sleeping on the ground and now she has so much. This story gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot. the pics are just so great. The graphics are wonderful. I never even noticed water overflowing from the toilet before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update. So happy to see Avi back. I love our blogs because often someone will capture something that I haven't noticed before in game. There's so many little things happening that it's easy to miss all the touches that went into the game. Like the overflowing toilet or the way they react when they catch different types of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I'm sorry to make you wait so long, but sometimes they go for a long time without giving me anything interesting to write about. This session thrilled me to death.

    I agree about our blogs. All the back and forth posting and commenting lends a sort of continuity to the whole big mess. I love that we catch the little things in each other's games.

    I forgot to put in the author's note, didn't I? They both rolled the baby wish at the same time. I wouldn't have pushed the button so soon after the wedding, but when I loaded the game and there they were both wanting one, what could I do? Now that she's pregnant, they both want a boy. I hope they get it. If I recall, they both wanted to propose at the same time, too. I think that's just so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really cool that they are coming up with the same wishes at the same time. I hope they get their little boy but, I'm sure they will be just as happy with a little girl.

    I love reading all these different blogs, and still being able to learn new things after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Avi's attempts to get a couple of her friends to be a couple. Subtle, just happen to go paint and leave them sitting and chatting. :)

    Yeah, it's nice to see Avi back. And so sweet that they both wanted a baby at the same time. Very much in love and in sync.

    ReplyDelete